With more than 1.300 participant runners and 2000 accompanying persons, took place on Sunday 29 of September the 2nd Corfu Half Marathon!
The Event has been organized by DOPAP of Corfu Municipality and the local Committee of SEGAS Kerkyras and took place under the auspices of SEGAS, AIMS, EOT, PSAT and with the co-operation of Corfu Hotel Association and the Association of Tourist Agents in Corfu and with the support of City & Intercity Buses and the Port Authority of Corfu.
The registered runners were on Saturday 28/09 1.243 and 200 more registrations were added on Sunday morning, 29/09, in the information office of the race!
To the above numbers we should add the numerus citizens and visitors of Corfu, who were registered, especially in the small categories, and took place in the last minute!
Corfu Half Marathon is certified by SEGAS and AIMS and in 2020 is going to be included in their calendar constituting in this way a sports and touristic destination.
Plenty of citizens and participants flooded Spianada square and Liston and run in Half Marathon and 5 KM. In 3km and 1000m participation exceeded every expectation, with all sorts of runners creating a festive atmosphere in Corfu’s old town! Numerous children of elementary school, citizens, tourists and people with special needs had a dynamic presence in the Event!
The Organizing Committee would like to congratulate all athletes for their performance and their participation as well as all the citizens who embraced the Event.
All participants had the chance to live a unique running experience with background the famous Spianada square, the Liston and the old town of Corfu which belongs to Unesco World Heritage.
The Organizing Committee would like to thank for their great contribution:
- The Police Department of Corfu and especially the Traffic Police
- And the Coast Guard
- The General Hospital of Corfu, the Medical Association, and the Voluntary Rescue Groups for the Healthcare Coverage, which was of the highest standard:
- Medical Association: 6 Doctors
- Red Cross: 25 (8 nursing,11 rescuers and 15 of social service)
- Greek Rescue Team: 12 rescuers
- Day Care Clinic “Treatment“: 1 Ambulance (fully equipped)
- The Educational Community for their large participation.
- The EADC “Laodamas” for its participation in the events.
- The citizens who embraced the great sporting feast with their presence.
- The staff of the Municipality of Corfu and the Municipal Organization for Culture, Sport and Environment (DOPAP), the Department of Culture, Sports and Youth of the Municipality.
- The 50 Individual Volunteers
- The Voluntary Organizations
- Body of Greek Scouts: 31
- Cultural Association of Kastellan: 8
- FITLAB SUPPORT TEAM: 8
- Green Volunteers: 10
- Volunteers of Kerkyra Psila: 7
- Volunteers of Let’s do this Corfu!:3
- In particular, the Motorcycle Club of Corfu, who covered the race course and contributed to the success of the games.
- The Race Sector, the Local Committee of SEGAS and the Association of Corfu SPORTS’ Judges, who implemented the Racing Planning in accordance with the specifications of SEGAS and AIMS in the best possible way for the safe and reliable conduct of all Road Races.
- Would like to thank ALL SPONSORS:
- Big Sponsor: Eurobank
- Sponsors: Coca-Cola 3E with water AVRA- HIGH5 – Helios Pasta
- Communication Sponsors: Corfu and Greek Media
We are looking forward to see you all in the 3nd Corfu Half Marathon in 2020!
Watch clips from the Awards and the Start of the races:
3 km. race.
5 km. race.